TRICKS OF THE TRADE: CLEAN

One thing I can't stand is the sour, mildewy smell a sponge gets often when it's only days old. I used to throw sponges away as soon as I'd detect even the slightest hint of that unpleasant odor. Needless to say, I spent (wasted) a lot of money unnecessarily replacing sponges. Then one day it occurred to me to try and wash one in the dishwasher with a load of dishes. Problem solved! That was several years ago and to this day I always have two sponges in rotation...one out on the sink to clean with and the other in the dishwasher. When I empty the clean dishes from the dishwasher I switch out the sponges. So, I never go more than a couple of days without having a freshly cleaned sponge and they last for weeks instead of days before I have to replace them!
Here are the sponges I currently enjoy using. They're biodegradable, they're not an eyesore sitting on the kitchen sink and they get the job done.


1 comment :

  1. I've been living without a dishwasher since September:( so I go through a lot of sponges. But I've recently found the twist brand also! I'm a huge fan of the sponge cloths. Sadly, I can't put them in my non-existent dishwasher BUT so far, no smell. And I also can't stand that smell.

    ReplyDelete