We're Pregnant!


After trying for over a year, we found out we were pregnant on the morning of New Year's Eve 2008. We had just gotten in late the night before after celebrating Christmas and skiing with our family in Colorado. I was a few days late (although I convinced myself not to think anything of it) and woke up the morning of the 31st at around 5:30 to go to the bathroom and thought, "might as well take a test." In the previous days Todd had already seemed convinced that I was pregnant. I took the test not really putting a whole lot of thought into it and impatiently waited for the results so I could just get back to my warm bed. At first glance, there it was...the word, "yes" (it was a digital test). I had to look again, and again. A surge of warmth rushed through my body and I had to force myself to remain calm as I went to wake my sleeping husband to share the best news I had ever received. Of course, his immediate reaction was, "I knew it!" He's always right.

We spent the next week in and out of the doctor's office taking blood tests to confirm that the pregnancy was progressing. At 6 weeks, with tear filled eyes, we saw our little angel and heard the miraculous flutter of her heartbeat for the first time. It was real!

Now, at 40 weeks pregnant, it is truly hard to believe that she'll be arriving any day now. The past nine months in many ways have been the best 9 months of my life. I have been very fortunate to have had a relatively uneventful and even enjoyable pregnancy. I have had to constantly remind myself that I'm not dreaming. When I started feeling her move for the first time, I was literally on a natural high for weeks...Todd said multiple times that he had never seen me so happy (other than our wedding day) or in such a good mood.

As the end of the pregnancy draws closer, although I certainly can't wait to meet my baby girl, I find myself feeling a little sad about the miracle I've been experiencing (that is, of carrying life inside me) coming to an end. Likewise, I'm feeling ready for the next chapter!


No comments :

Post a Comment